Thursday, November 19, 2009

Rolling in chocolate



In order to tide me over the baking-hiatus during the exam period, I've been baking these mini chocolate croissants (Pain au Chocolat) for my sister. They're really really easy to make! No seriously. All I have to do is to cut up the ready-made puff pastry dough (storebought), chop up some chocolate and roll it up! As simple as that. There really isn't any recipe to follow since you can roll them in any shape and size you want, depending on your sweet tooth or diet plans. I have to credit Nigella Lawson since I got the inspiration from her cooking show - Nigella Express. Do watch it if you have cable (:



Mini Chocolate Croissants (Pain au Chocolat)
adapted from Nigella.com

1 sheet ready-rolled butter puff pastry
6 squares of baking chocolate (or any other chocolate based on preference)
1 egg beaten (for glazing)
Serving Size : Makes 12 mini croissants



1. Preheat oven to 220°C/230°C.

2. Roughly chop the chocolate.

3. Take the pastry sheet out of the

4. Cut each sheet of pastry into half.

5. Cut the half into about 3 rectangles to get 6 rectangles.

6. Half each rectangle diagonally to form 2 triangles so that you'll yield 12 triangles per sheet.

7. Position the triangles such that the base is nearest to you.

8. Place the chopped chocolate onto the triangles and carefully roll them up.

9. Seal the ends of the rolled up pastry slightly with your fingertips to prevent chocolate from oozing out.

10. Place the croissants on a lined but not buttered baking tray and brush the beaten egg over to glaze.

11. Bake for 15-20min or until golden brown and puffed up. Serve as is.



Personally, I left the pastry in the fridge until I was ready to deal with them as they got overly soft for handling on my first attempt. Hope my directions are understandable! It's my first time writing such baking instructions so do comment if they stink! ><

So anyway, my sister gobbles these up for her breakfast, afternoon or late night snack and they seem to get better and better! Not sure why. Maybe it's because everytime I make it, I increase the amount of chocolate I put inside these croissants. Oh well, these are one of the few things I bake that she appreciates. Not that I'm complaining or anything (okay maybe I am, oops!), my family's not very supportive of my baking. Sure they are supportive when it comes to buying the baking supplies and stuff, but when it comes to the eating... That's why I'm kind of restricted to what I bake. My family likes chocolate but they don't like peanut butter, oats, baked apples etc! It's appalling. That's why I have to rely on my friends to be my guinea pigs :/ At least they're the real foodies and can appreciate what I bake better.

Happy baking everyone!

Bite me!
Cheryl :D

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails