Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Some call it chocolate therapy




Finally I get to bake again! During the A'level period, I have been browsing through many food blogs just to suppress the longing to bake. Pathetic right? I know. I even bought Hershey's Unsweetened  Cocoa Powder and Ghiradelli's chocolate chips over the weekend during grocery shopping just to satisfy the baking craving. Asked my mom and sister for their comments and preferences to select the first thing I'll bake to break the baking hiatus. So there you go, the recipe for the awesome looking and tasting cookie above.

Chocolate Therapy Brownie Cookie
adapted from cookiebakerlynn.blogspot.com
makes about 2 dozen 2" cookies


29g unsalted butter
29g unsweetened chopped chocolate*
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
3/8 cup self-raising flour**
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg
3/8 cup white sugar*** 
1/2 tsp vanilla extract


1. Preheat oven to 180°C

2. Melt butter, chopped chocolate and 3/8 cup chocolate chips in a large, heavy saucepan on low heat. Stir continuously to ensure everything has melted. Set aside and cool.

3. Combine flour and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.

4. Beat the egg, sugar and vanilla extract at medium speed with an electric mixer.

5. Gradually add in the flour mixture and beat well.

6. Add in the chocolate mixture and mix well.

7. Stir in the remaining 3/8 cup chocolate chips (You can add in other ingredients like nuts or berries if you want at this stage)

8. Drop blobs of cookie dough onto a baking tray lined with baking/parchment paper, about 2" apart (they will expand!) - I used 2 tablespoons to help carry out this step.

9. Bake for 8-10min, no longer. Otherwise they'll burn and when they cool, the cookies will be as hard as rocks! Cool them in the tray for a few minutes before transferring them onto a wire rack for complete cooling.

10. Serve and enjoy! (Best eaten on the day itself)

*I used Ghiradelli's 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate chips instead. Saved the trouble of chopping the chocolate up :D


**I used self-raising flour because I didn't have all-purpose flour and baking powder :/

***I reduced the sugar added and substituted in a little brown sugar for better taste.

Because I left them in slightly more than 10min (but still under 11min), my cookies were burnt a little. After they cooled completely, the cookies were only a little chewy, but they weren't moist. Hmm, I should leave them for only 8-9min next time I bake. Or maybe my oven was too hot? Anyhow, they still tasted delish a few minutes after cooling (: Yeah I couldn't resist!


 
(Inspiration for this photo came from cookiebakerlynn.blogspot.com!)

2 comments:

Simply Life said...

YUM! Those cookies look amazing!

Cheryl said...

thanks! but they are a litle burnt around the edges :/

Related Posts with Thumbnails