Friday, December 25, 2009

We wish you a Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas one and all!
It's finally that time of year when it's all about Jesus Christ (:


I just came back from Christmas service at my church - Lighthouse Evangelism and decided to blog a bit about yesterday's Christmas eve dinner. So we invited a few friends and colleagues over for dinner and cooked up a storm with leftovers to boast. In addition to the curry chicken and the salad, together with the omission of the bee hoon, my mom toasted some ready made fishballs. One of her colleagues brought some Japanese sushi rice with shredded omelette, mushrooms and other funky things in. Delish btw. My dad's friend brought a big log cake from Prima Deli to add on to the dessert menu. Snacks consisted of boiled peanuts and mixed dried nuts and berries. But my main point is not the dinner, its the dessert. MY dessert.





I finally chose to bake the individual Chocolate Fondant cake aka lava cake aka warm chocolate cake aka molten chocolate babycakes etc etc and the list goes on. I haven't found a standardised name for this delight yet so I'll just make do with the name 'Molten Chocolate Cake'. Simple and straightforward. I was super nervous and scared that I would ruin the molten centers when I tip the pan over (I used muffin pans btw, my budget didn't allow for the ceramic ramekin moulds) and whether the molten centers would really be molten. I prayed. And my cakes turned out beautifully! The molten centers were really molten, all except for one. It was still moist and wet but not liquid. But it's a rather good attempt I think, for a first try.


I browsed through many many recipes and decided on the one from Take Home Chef Curtis Stone because I had seen him make it on tv before. I also cross-referenced several sources and found that his tallied with another source's perfectly. Hence the obvious choice.





I also decided to follow the advice of the many tv chefs when they recommend us to us chocolate with 70% cocoa solids! The only brand my mom could find was Lindt. Awesome no?? It's really one of the best brands available in my honest opinion.


Molten Chocolate Cake
adapted from TLC.com
makes 6 cakes


113g unsalted butter, and more for greasing
unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting
105g chopped dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup caster sugar
1/6 cup (25g) all purpose flour
vanilla ice cream/whipped cream/chocolate sauce for serving


1. Preheat oven to 200°C if baking straightaway.


2. Coat 6 moulds with butter and dust with cocoa powder to cover the entire mould. Tap out the excess.


3. Melt chocolate and butter over low heat in a heavy medium saucepan until smooth (Good chocolate will make an awesomely smooth and velvety melted mixture)


4. Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs, egg yolks and sugar until it is pale and doubled in volume. This would take about 3-5min.


5. Fold in the melted chocolate mixture.


6. Fold in the flour until the batter is smooth.


7. Pour the batter into the prepared moulds about 3/4 full. Make sure the batter is divided equally amond all the moulds.


8. Bake for 8-10 min (1-2min longer if batter is fridge-cold)/until cakes are slightly puffed and just set around the edges. Toothpick inserted should come out with batter still attached. DO NOT OVERBAKE otherwise centers would not be molten.


9. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream topped with chocolate sauce (I used Hershey's hahah)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails