Friday, February 5, 2010
Today is the 5th of February and it is very special.
Why is it so special you may ask? Well my friend, here's why.
Happy World Nutella Day 2010!
The World Nutella Day was created in 2007 when Sara Rosso from Ms. Adventures in Italy thought that there were many days in the year but no day set aside to appreciate Nutella (oh boy was she right!). So World Nutella Day was born. She was joined by Shelly from At Home in Rome to organise World Nutella Day 2007. In 2008 and 2009, Sara has also been joined by Michelle from Bleeding Espresso as they spread World Nutella Day love! Now, it is up to us to pass it on! Let's do our part for Nutella (here's how)!
Yes! World Nutella Day is finally here!
Nutella has been a great and wonderful part of my life since secondary school, about 4 years ago. I used to slop on a thick layer of the chocolatey hazelnut spread on digestive biscuits and gobble them down for my after school snack! Whenever my mom buys bananas, I would slice the bananas then dunk and eat them. As simple as that. Nowadays, being older and all, I slather a huge dollop of the nutty goodness on wholemeal toast for breakfast every morning. The wholemeal toast helps lessen the guilt as it is healthier compared to white toast right? Okay I may be a bit health conscious but that doesn't stop me from eating Nutella every day now does it! So in conclusion, I couldn't figure out which type of Nutella lover I was. But whatever the case, I wouldn't mind being ALL the types mashed in one :D
Since this is my first year celebrating World Nutella Day (I heard about it only end of last year), I had to find a special recipe! I looked through tons of websites and browsed through all the Nutella related recipes submitted from previous years to get some inspiration. Alas, I decided. It would be the Tiramisu that would join the gorgeous Nutella in the most anticipated marriage of the year. After deciding on the type of dessert I would make, I had to choose a recipe to follow/tweak/adapt. So back to the computer and cookbooks I went.
Finally, I succeeded. Below is the adapted recipe from 2 sources (:
Individual Nutella Tiramisu
adapted from Gordon Ramsay and marmiton.org
8 Savoiardi (Italian ladyfingers)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
50g Nutella (you can add more or less, depending on your preference)
75ml heavy whipping cream
1tbsp heavy whipping cream
100ml strong coffee or espresso cooled to room temp*
unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting
frozen 70% cocoa chocolate bar
sugar to sweeten coffee
1. Melt the Nutella with 1tbsp of whipping cream in the microwave. The cream acts as a medium for the Nutella to dissolve and melt. Let cool.
2. Whisk the 75ml heavy whipping cream in one bowl until soft peaks form. Do not over-whisk!
3. Whisk the mascarpone and vanilla extract in another bowl until the mascarpone mixture is creamy and smooth.
4. Add the melted Nutella mixture into the mascarpone mixture and mix until incorporated.
5. Gently fold in the whipped cream into the mascarpone-Nutella mixture to avoid losing the air incorporated previously.
6. Quickly dip the Savoiardi into the coffee and arrange into desired position in the individual cups/glasses. Break them into smaller pieces if you need to. Don't soak the Savoiardi in the coffee too long as it is highly absorbant! The Savoiardi will turn soggy and that's not what we want right!
7. Pour a layer of the Nutella mixture over the Savoiardi and repeat the process until the cup is full.
8. Refrigerate for about 4 hours to ensure the tiramisu has firmed up (I took mine out about 2 hours after to photograph hahah couldn't wait!).
9. Grate the frozen chocolate bar over the tiramisu and dust with cocoa powder before serving (or you can just eat it straight if you can't wait haha)
*I just dissolved about 2tsp of Nescafe in 100ml of water
Okay so I'm not a good decorator as you can see, but what matters most is the taste right? Given that it was my first attempt at making a Tiramisu, albeit a non-authentic simple one, I thought that it tasted awesome! So did my sister (:
So go ahead, indulge in whatever Nutella fantasies you have today. After all, you have to wait a whole other year for this day to come knocking again. Enjoy you fellow Nutella lovers! :D