Friday, February 12, 2010

Thank you, Lord, for our Daily Bread


I'm a real sucker for a good loaf of bread.
I eat 2 slices of wholemeal toast everyday for breakfast if you remember! One with my favourite Nutella and the other with either PB or PB&J (I just bought a jar of Smuckers' PB&J swirl! Awesome, but can't beat Nutella hahah).


Ever since my pita bread attempt, I got hooked on bread baking. This way, I can control whatever goes into my bread! I can reduce the sugar or increase the % of wholemeal flour used...
Only problem is I've never baked bread before, assuming we just ignore the pita bread for now. Yeast used to scare me honestly. Actually, the idea of baking anything with yeast scared me last time because let's face it, baking is a unique type of Science. Hands up if you agree!

Blue Yonder's Daily Wholemeal Bread
adapted from lafujimama
makes 1 small loaf - 12 slices

2/3 tbsp warm water
1/3 cup warm water
1/2 tsp yeast
1/6 tsp sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup wholemeal flour
2 tbsp applesauce
extra flour to dust

1. Mix the yeast, sugar and 2/3 tbsp warm water together and let it sit for about 10-15 min.

2. In a large bowl, pour the yeast mixture, the remaining 1/3 cup warm water, the flours and the applesauce together. Mix until incorporated using an electric mixer with a dough hook. Keep mixing for about 7min or 3-4min then knead by hand. The dough should no longer be sticky but smooth and elastic.

3. Remove the dough and place in a clean bowl, lightly dusted with flour. Lightly dust the top of the dough with flour as well. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and place in a warm, draught-free spot for it to double in size.

4. After the dough has risen, punch it down to release the air. Spray/grease and flour a small loaf pan. Shape the dough into a loaf and place it in the pan.

5. Let the dough rise in the pan in a warm spot again, uncovered, until doubled in size.

6. Preheat the oven to 180C. Bake the loaf for about 20-25min or until the loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped on top.


Hmm, for some reason or other, this bread tastes a bit like sourdough. It looks like sourdough too. The texture of this bread is crumbly yet moist. It's not like the regular off-the-shelf wholemeal bread you get, which is soft and moist. This bread also has a crust. But it's not those hard crusty kinds, it's more of the sourdough kinds. Maybe I really unknowingly baked a loaf of sort-of sourdough and didn't know it. Hmm.


Thank you, Lord, for our Daily Bread. Amen.

1 comment:

PFx said...

That bread doesn't look suck to me. Keep up the great work, Cheryl!

Related Posts with Thumbnails