Tuesday, February 23, 2010

This is for you..


I had my very first crush in kindergarten, but I'm not telling you his name.

He was shorter than me, cute, had flat straight hair, small almond brownish-black eyes, a fair complexion... Well, that's as far as my memory goes. I used to take the initiative to play with him during play time and went out of my way to help him if he got bullied by others or when he cried. Yeah I was pretty tough back then. Whether he reciprocated or even felt my concern I don't know. All I know is that I was fiercely protective of him. Weird right? I know. After graduation from kindergarten, we lost contact. Not that we kept in contact throughout kindergarten outside school, but you get my drift. I went to an all-girls primary school and he went elsewhere.


Just the other day, before my fellow dancer's housewarming, I facebook-ed him. Okay I'm a stalker I admit. But who doesn't do it secretly? I didn't expect to find his account because I didn't know how he looked like now. Maybe it was fate, but I found it. He posted his primary school photo on his account. That small, cute boy from my memory was there on the computer screen. What luck. I looked through his photos and got a glimpse of his life all these years. Stalker to the max.

After the facebook find, I put the matter aside. But as fate would have it again, I met him. On the bus. I was on my way to work and when I boarded the bus, I saw him. Our eyes met briefly before the realisation hit. I was sure it was him because I had just viewed his profile that day! Freaky coincidence? I think so too. So now I knew he stayed around the same region as me. Ooh.

Fate's a real mystery and I still don't know what to make of this incident. So for Valentines this year, although wayyyy belated, I would like to dedicate it to him. He made the bulk of my kindergarten memories and I appreciate it. I actually hope we can be friends and stay in touch. After all, it's very rare to be able to find friends from kindergarten days.


Here's some brownies for you, Mr D. Happy Valentines Day.

Valentines Day Fudge Brownies
adapted from kingarthurflour.com
makes 12 small brownies and 2 small brownie hearts

1/4 cup (57g) unsalted butter
9/16 cup caster sugar
1 egg
5/16 cup Double-Dutch Dark Cocoa or Dutch-process Cocoa (I used Hershey's unsweetened cocoa)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp espresso powder
1/4 tbsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup chocolate chips
3/8 cup all purpose flour

1. Preheat oven to 177C (350F). Line an 7"x3" pan with parchment paper and lightly grease it for easier lifting out of the pan.

2. Melt the butter in a microwave oven using a microwave-safe bowl or in a saucepan over low heat. Stir in the sugar until incorporated. Return the butter/sugar mixture into the microwave and heat until mixture is hot but NOT bubbling. Stir the mixture again and it should be shiny. Do this a second time.

3. In a separate bowl, beat the egg, cocoa, salt, baking powder, espresso powder and vanilla extract until smooth.

4. Add in the hot butter/sugar mixture and stir until smooth.

5. Add in the flour and stir until smooth.

6. Wait for the mixture to cool down (about 10-15min) before adding the chocolate chips so that they hold their shape and do not melt after baking.

7. Fill the prepared pan with the mixture. I added some mixture into the 2 prepared Wilton's silicone heart-shaped moulds.

8. Bake for 20-25min or until a cake tester/toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs clinging to it. The brownies should feel set on the edges but look moist, not uncooked, in the middle. Cool on a cooling rack and serve. Brownies can be served warm with vanilla icecream and raspberry sauce drizzled over. Yum. Or you can pack it in a bag and give it to your first crush.

These brownies are moist with a cake-like crumb. They have a light coffee+chocolate=mocha aroma and are quite delicate. Not too rich and not too dense. These have love written all over it, perfect for your Valentine.


I haven't forgotten him all these years, I wonder if he still remembers me?

5 comments:

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

Awwww! If that doesn't get him, I don't know what will. Lovely! I really want one of those now :D

Cheryl ♥ said...

hahah if i could i would send some to you :D

PFx said...

hahahaha... you remind me about mine now... the 2 incisors teeth that made her look like a cute wabbit...

brownsugarandhoney said...

hihi(: yay for baking in our tiny, HOT, island!
browniessssssss<3

Sasha said...

What a cute story. And you're not a stalker, we all do the facebook thing.

I love your blog : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails