Monday, March 15, 2010

The Great Cookie Experiment!


Sorry guys I've been MIA for super long. Them uni apps are driving me insane! Although we don't have to write personal statements (other than for some courses) but the whole procedure is just so confusing! It really drives me mad trying to figure them out. Not to mention I'm super worried I'll do something wrong and end up screwing my uni life. But I'm praying. That's my only consolation (apart from having awesome friends who are equally confused haha).

So enough about uni apps. Let's talk weather. I know the weather in Singapore's been a real bitch lately with random downpours and super hot afternoons. But there's no better time to get the oven started and bake not one, but TWO lovely chocolate chip cookie recipes! No regrets. Seriously.

Alton's The Chewy

vs.

Emily's Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies (visionsofsugarplum)


Well, the verdict is pretty much clear at the moment. Judges include those who have tried these cookies - my sister, her friends, my mom, my friends and some of my friend's friends, and most importantly, ME! The baker hahah (dad didn't try :/ he's not a cookie/baked goods person. Ah well, he doesn't know what he's missing). We unanimously preferred Sugar Plum's cookies! Even though both were rather similar. So hurray for Emily! :D

They liked the chewiness of the cookie and the fact that it retained its crisp-exterior-chewy-interior texture after quite a number of days. The smell was somewhat similar to Famous Amos' cookies some said (an awesome compliment I must say). The chocolate chunks took the cookie to another level as it had more body than regular chocolate chips. You could really taste the good quality chocolate (I used Cadbury's Old Gold Dark Chocolate with 70% Cocoa Solids - it was surprisingly good imho) in every bite!


The Chewy
an Alton Brown recipe
I got 37 small cookies

1-1/8 cup all purpose flour (I didn't have bread flour)
113g (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 tsp table salt (didn't have kosher)
1/2 tsp baking powder (didn't have baking soda)
1/8 cup caster sugar
5/8 cup brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 egg white
1 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I ran out of it halfway!)
120g semisweet chocolate chunks/chips

1. Preheat oven to 190C (if baking on the same day)

2. Melt butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat and set aside.

3. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder (dry ingredients) together in a bowl and set aside.

4. Pour the melted butter into a mixing bowl and add both sugars. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed if using a mixer. Add the egg yolk and white, milk and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined (fold in works best imho). Stir in the chocolate chunks/chips.

5. Chill the dough in the refrigerator (I chilled it overnight). Scoop onto parchment-lined baking trays with about 6 cookies per sheet. Depending on the size of your cookies. Bake for 12-14min or until edges are golden brown, checking the cookies from 5min onwards. Rotate the baking tray to achieve even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

But who wants to store it when you can eat it immediately??? :D

Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies
Emily of visionsofsugarplum's recipe
I got 35 small cookies

57g unsalted butter
1-1/8 cup all purpose flour
5/8 tsp baking powder (didn't have baking soda)
1/2 tsp salt
28.5g unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
85g semisweet chocolate chunks
toasted nuts (optional - I omitted the nuts because sister didn't want them)

1. Preheat oven to 190C (if baking the cookies immediately). Line baking tray with parchment paper.

2. Melt 57g butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and continue to cook the butter, whisking frequently, until it starts to brown and foam, about 5-7min. Set aside.

3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt until well combined in a bowl and set aside.

4. In a separate mixing bowl, beat 28.5g softened butter and sugars until well combined and grainy (medium speed if using mixer) for about 1min. Beat in the browned butter for an additional 1min. Add in the egg and vanilla and beat until well combined. Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually beat in the flour mixture until just combined (I used the folding in method to be safe). Stir in the chocolate chunks and nuts if using.

5. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for about an hour (I chilled it overnight). Drop 1/4 cup measures of dough onto baking tray and flatten slightly. Bake at 190C for 12-14min (I made smaller cookies so baking time was reduced to 8-10min) or until golden brown around the edges. Cool and store in airtight containers or serve to hungry family members :D (or gorge on them yourself!)

For both cookie recipes, I have to stress this again! DO NOT OVERBAKE. Never. Not on your life. Seriously. Otherwise you'll feel like these recipes have let you down when they most certainly will not! Hahah stern warning here yeah.


So do yourself a favour and try Sugar Plum's Chocolate Chip cookies. Or rather, do yourself a MEGA favour and try both! You may prefer Alton's recipe as opposed to me but that's okay. To each his own right? Tell me if you do, we can exchange more cookie recipes to carry out more cookie experiments! Now wouldn't that be great? Cookie lovers unite! :D

3 comments:

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

Oooh! The chewy ones for me, I think! Will definitely try the recipe. Saved! Thanks for sharing :)

Jessie said...

Hello,

Neo Garden is having a food tasting for all bloggers on our new catering line.

We would like to invite you down. :)

Do drop me a email if you are interested at

jessie.ong@neogroup.com.sg

Cheers,

Jessie

redmenace said...

I am sorry to hear about your applications. What a bummer. I totally remember that experience. It's like navigating a maze with no help! Your cookies, however, must make up for the stress somehow? They look great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails