Monday, April 19, 2010

1, 2, 3, why don't you bake with me!


I'm feeling much much much better after the baking marathon I had on Friday! The high is just amazing. Seriously.

Reason for the sudden baking marathon? Well, my sister and her friends decided to give their dancer juniors a little something before they stepped down so being my bonafide taster, she suggested asking me to bake for them! Sweet no? This was my chance to try 2 new recipes and dish out my all-time favourite recipe at the same time! Of course I jumped at it!




Having recently visited ovenhaven's blog and read her post on the 3 simple steps to baking the perfect muffins, I knew I had to source for tried and tested recipes from there. I chose this chocolate chip muffin one but it wasn't what I expected. The taste was a tad too bland for my liking and the crumb wasn't muffin-y at all. It was more like that of fa gao (some spongey chinese steamed cake usually offered during prayers). Mine looked totally different from the photos in her blog but I was sure I followed the recipe exactly so I'm not sure what went wrong. But I did follow ovenhaven's 3 tips and they were amazing. Props to you! :D


On the other hand, I was totally satisfied with Nigella's double chocolate muffins. They had the perfect crumb! Moist and chocolatey with the liners coming off easily without bits of muffin sticking to it. The chocolate chips that were inside the muffin melted - aka pure chocolate bliss! I have nothing but raves for this recipe. Although I don't know how the original recipe tastes like but I tweaked it a bit after reading some of the comments and left out the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips which I had to sprinkle on top. Even so, BEST I tell you. Sister said it can rival the all-time favourite blueberry muffins :D



Chocolate Chip Muffins
adapted from allrecipes.com via ovenhaven
makes 11 muffins (weird number I know)

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk (I used HL low-fat milk!)
1 egg
1/3 cup canola oil
1 cup mini chocolate chips (Hershey's!)

1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Line your muffin pans with muffin liners. I did.

2. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder) until thoroughly mixed. Make a well in the middle.

3. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients (vanilla, milk, egg, oil).

4. Pour the wet ingredients into dry ingredients via the well and mix until just moistened. Batter should be lumpy.

5. Add in the chocolate chips. Fill the muffin liners until about 3/4 full.

6. Bake for 18-20min or until muffins are risen and toothpick inserted comes out with a few moist crumbs.



Nigella's Chocolate Chocolate-chip Muffins
adapted from foodnetwork.com
makes 12 standard muffins

1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup cocoa powder (Hershey's!)
1 1/4 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup chocolate chips (Hershey's!)
1 cup milk (I used HL low-fat milk)
1/3 cup + 2tsp canola oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Line your muffin pans with muffin liners if you want. I did.

2. In a mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa, sugar) + the chocolate chips.

3. In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (milk, oil, egg, vanilla).

4. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients in. Mix until just incorporated. DO NOT OVERMIX! Batter should be lumpy.

5. Fill the muffin liners until about 3/4 full.

6. Bake for 18-20min or until muffins are dark, risen and springy.


It's nice to get recognised for your efforts don't you think?

3 comments:

Lazaro Cooks! said...

Wonderful post. Well-written and infromative. Great photos as well. Have to go with the chocolate chip muffins. Cheers!

Chef Dennis said...

very nicely done....lots of great information, and now I want to make the double chocolate muffins!!

hannah! said...

that's a lot of delish muffins! (:

Related Posts with Thumbnails