Sunday, April 4, 2010

Do you trust me?


Right, these don't look like muffins but they are! Trust me. If you don't, at least trust cookiebakerlynn!!


Yup I have an issue with trust. I'm too naive it seems (I believe almost anything people tell me). Yeah I bet you're painting that big LOSER sign on my forehead now. But I can't help it! Is it really such a crime to be so trusting?


Take for example during my first driving lesson. There was this red button in the car and my instructor was like "never ever press this button otherwise you'll fly out of the car". Okay I admit it sounds a bit farfetched and absurd but I believed him. Yeah I did. I mean, red buttons in tv shows all signal danger and such right?! Like those self-destruct buttons and what not. Come on, I'm a tele-girl! Grew up watching tele programmes and cartoons. So I believed him. Then he told me to press it. I was like NO FREAKING WAY. I didn't want to fly out of the car did I? And he pressed it. I was like "shit" and mentally prepared to fly out of the car like those jokers who get ejected out of their car seats in cartoons. Well, obviously that never happened. The horn just honked. Felt like painting that big LOSER sign on my forehead right there and then.


So what do I do? Bake. That's right. I bake up a batch of deceptive muffins. Muffcakes as what Mowie from Mowielicious calls them - a cross between a muffin and a cupcake. There! Now nobody can say they don't trust me when I cross-referenced from two reliable sources hehe (I didn't totally throw back all my history knowledge to my sec sch teacher now did I?)


Actually, come to think of it, these really do resemble muffcakes. Even though Lynn didn't mention it anywhere. These have a heavy texture to them, much like their muffin counterpart but don't look at all like muffins from the outside! They look alarmingly similar to the cupcake. Now that's one deceptive muffcake. Never judge a book by its cover. How apt. But whatever the case, anything that involves not one, but THREE types of chocolate, has to be good!

Now you see it,

Now you don't!

Deceptive Triple Chocolate Muffcakes
makes 10 standard cupcake sized muffcakes

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder (Hersheys ftw!)
1/2 tsp baking powder*
1/8 tsp salt (supposed to use sea salt but I didn't have any, so I used regular table salt instead)
3/8 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Hersheys!)
1/4 cup coarsely chopped milk chocolate (I used Ghiradelli's 60% cocoa chocolate buttons instead)
7/8 cup buttermilk (I used HL low-fat milk since I didn't have buttermilk - not a very good substitute but I thought it was alright)
1/4 cup honey (I didn't have honey so I just used a little less than 1/4 cup of caster sugar)
1/8 cup canola oil
1 small egg (the kinds you get from Sg supermarkets)
3/4 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Line your muffin tin with 8-10 muffin liners (8 if you want your muffcakes to be filled more so they stand taller).

2. Sift the flours, cocoa powder, sugars (add the caster sugar here if you're using it as a sub for the honey), baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. Add the chocolate chips and chunks and stir to combine.

3. In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, oil, egg and vanilla together (add the honey here if you're using it).

4. Pour the wet ingredients gently into the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed. Do not overstir!

5. Spoon the batter into the muffin liners, filling each cup until about 3/4 full. I filled mine somewhere between 1/2 to 3/4 full that's why my muffcakes weren't that tall.

6. Bake for 12-18min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean with a few moist crumbs. Baking time  depends on how much batter you fill the liners with.

7. Cool the muffcakes for at least 10min before removing from the tray. My advice is to let them cool for a while longer so the liners peel away easily from the muffcakes, removing lesser of the chocolatey goodness with them! Save 'em chocolate!

*In addition to the baking powder, 5/8 tsp of baking soda was required but as usual, I didn't have any so I omitted it.


Lesson learnt: When in doubt, bake. That way you'll know who to trust when you've tried and tasted it yourself.

How's that for a lesson learnt!

9 comments:

hannah! said...

Muffcakes! LOL

Abby said...

Lynn knows what she's talking about! Yum.

peasepudding said...

I have to agree with you, three types of chocolate and you can't go wrong. And since they are small muffcakes you won't feel guilty eating more than one!

ovenhaven said...

Call this anything you want, but with 3 types of chocolate, they're called 'perfect' in my books :P

ladyironchef said...

great photos of the muffin! :) but somehow i always prefer cupcake > muffins! haha

Cheryl ♥ said...

hannah: hahah they sound funny right!

abby: definitely! :D

peasepudding: hahah i love the way you think! :D

ovenhaven: LOL right you are!~ oh and i just visited your blog and saw the perfect post! coincidentally posted around the same time as my muffin post! shall comment there :D

ladyironchef: thanks! omg im a huge fan of yours hahah been stalking your blog for great eats and reviews for food in sg :D btw there are some muffins which beat cupcakes! like my blueberry muffins! :D

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Ahaha, ok ok I trust you! Anything triple chocolate has to be good anyway!

thisbigcheese said...

You had me looking through your blog instead of doing homework haha! The chewy choc chip cookies (http://watchmebake.blogspot.com/2009/12/you-cant-rain-on-my-parade.html) look SOOOO GOOOD. If I didn't have an essay to complete and a cake to bake for my dad, these cookies would probably be coming out of my oven in a jiffy!!

Chef Dennis said...

muffcakes....i love it!! they look incredible

Related Posts with Thumbnails