Friday, April 16, 2010

I need all the comfort I can get!

Just had an interview earlier this afternoon and let's just say things aren't looking so good from where I'm standing. I don't know whether I made a good impression or not but I know the way I answered the interviewers' questions was pretty weird. Why weird? Even I don't know. Sigh. All I can do is leave my future in the hands of God and I know He'll show me the way.

But in the mean time, I need some comfort food!!!!!!!!



Dinner tonight is prepared by me, for me. Home alone once again. I've gotten sick of eating cold cereal (I eat it for dinner whenever I have work and come home late - aka I'm lazy and can't be bothered to cook stuff) so I need some excitement for my palate! Since today is quite gloomy, think my gloomy mood + heavy rain since the late afternoon, I wanted to make something comforting. Comfort, comfort, comfort. Hmm, what screams comfort? To me, comfort food definitely means Shepherd's Pie! Bear with my rather gross photos because I wanted to quickly snap some photos so that I could eat! By the time I finished making dinner, it was already 8pm. Starving girl + taking photos do not go hand in hand I'm afraid.


And because it was supposed to be easy comfort food, I used this can of instant peanuts (already cooked) which came with a lovely sauce. Normally we eat this with porridge in my family but I decided the sauce would go perfectly well with this Shepherd's pie. Okay I think anything would go well with the sauce and peanuts :D

Easy Peasy Shepherd's Pie
makes 1 serving

1 small Russet potato
1/3 small sized tomato, cut into wedges
1/2 a can of instant peanuts in sauce (I used the Narcissus brand in sg!) 
1/2 medium carrot, diced
1tbsp frozen sweet corn
salt and pepper to taste

1. Make the mashed potatoes first!
Wash the potato.
Put the potato into salt water and bring it to a boil, skin and all.
Boil the potato until it is soft, i.e. easily pierced by a fork.
Drain and let it cool in the pot.
Mash the potato with a fork and add a dash of milk (I used HL low fat milk). Season with salt and pepper to taste.

2. In a non-stick pan on low heat, fry the carrots first (no oil for the health conscious me!). After they turn somewhat soft, add in the tomatoes. When the tomatoes cook down a bit, add in the corn, followed by the instant peanuts with its sauce. The corn and peanuts are already cooked so adding them in last is just to warm them up a bit.

3. Pour the cooked ingredients into the bottom of an oven-safe bowl and cover with the mashed potatoes. You can make swirly patterns or write your name on top to signify that it's yours! Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for about 10-15min or until the top is lightly browned. Okay I didn't really take note of the time because I was super anxious to eat it already! Everything's cooked anyway (:

PS: look at all the sauce! I didn't add salt to the cooked ingredients, just pepper, since the sauce was already full of flavour!

I ate this with chilli. Awesome stuff! Being Asian, I love my chilli. I have to eat chilli with everything! Except maybe bread and cereal but you get my drift. The chilli I used was belacan! I added in some bulldog sauce (a Japanese sauce normally eaten with tonkatsu) just to add some flavour and to thin the belacan since I didn't add any lime/lemon juice.

Right so after that awesome dinner, I feel better and perkier. It's time to bake some muffins for my sister's friends :D I get to bake and experiment with new recipes + I get paid. How awesome can it get?

2 comments:

Lazaro Cooks! said...

Saw your profile on another page. Glad I read your informative and well-written blog. Look forward to following you here. Cheers!

Cheryl ♥ said...

thanks!!! :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails